May 20, 2011

The Importance of being Nice

It was my 2012 resolution to attend church regularly, and one of the most memorable sermons came on Epiphany Sunday when I was taught humility is key.  We are almost half way through the year, and I am having to remind myself of this lesson more than I would like.  We are all sinners and sometimes we let our emotions take over when someone unexpectantly says something too bluntly or rudely.  Other times, we say the things that are hurtful that we really don't mean.  I came across this picture with a similar message of humility.


After realizing I usually fail to be humble or nice when I react to someone's remarks that take me by surprise, I began researching tips on how to alleviate these situations.  One of the first sites was Emily Post, the queen of manners, so I had to share her tips.  They are simple and help put these instances into perspective.  As a Christian, I would like to expand on her thoughtful tips of "what would Jesus do?" 
  1. Don’t take it personally. Perhaps the offender is having a bad day.
  2. Size up your annoyances. Is it worth it to make a fuss over something small, or is it a waste of your emotional time?
  3. Set a good example. Rudeness begets rudeness. If you speak sharply to the bank teller, don’t be surprised if you get the same treatment in return.
  4. Count to ten. When someone’s behavior makes you angry, take a few deep breaths and ask yourself, “Is it really worth blowing my stack over this?”
  5. Laugh it off. If you can’t come up with a friendly joke, just chuckle and change the subject.

I searched for the print above and finally found it.  This great message was beautifully created in a typographical art piece.  Perhaps I should purchase it or make one simliar so that I can remind myself daily of these key principles.

http://sugarpaper.com/store/good-reminder-print-p-699.html